Re: Hebrew-Aramaic Origin of the Apocalypse / the Revelation...

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Discussion Forum at www.eliyah.com/forum/ ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by George on July 11, 1998 at 15:44:44:

In Reply to: Hebrew-Aramaic Origin of the Apocalypse / the Revelation... posted by Br. Clif on July 11, 1998 at 12:08:05:

. . . In part Dr. Lamsa wrote: "In the first century, Jesus and his earliest followers certainly spoke Aramaic for the most part, although they also knew Hebrew. Therefore the Gospel message was first preached in the Aramaic of the Jews of Palestine. Modern scholarship tells us that the originals of the Four Gospels and of other parts of the New Testament were written in Greek; this is disputed by the Church of the East and by some noted Western scholars. Regardless of which view one may accept, Aramaic speech is an underlying factor and it is unquestionably true that documents written in Aramaic were drawn on by writers of the New Testament, the basic inspired form of the Christian message."

"One of these days I'll have to pick up an Aramaic Peshitta (maybe an interlinear? Does one exist?)"

. . . My Hebrew teacher had a copy of the Masoretic text with the Aramaic right next to it. I remember using it for some research. It wasn't interlinear though.

. . . Here is something interesting concerning Revelation, which some hold was first written in Hebrew:

In Revelation 17:6 we read that the Seer "marveled" at the vision of the great harlot. Mr. Thompson, after making some comparisons in LXX, thinks that it ought to read "appalled" rather than "marveled." (Dan. 4:19; 8:27; Lev. 26:32) So Rev 17:7 could be translated, "why are you appalled?" He also thinks that the underlying Hebrew word can also be translated "be desolated" in Rev 13:3, which corresponds to Ezek 35:15. So instead of "the whole world wondered after the beast," we would read "the whole world was devastated in the wake of the beast."

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Discussion Forum at www.eliyah.com/forum/ ] [ FAQ ]