Re: Sabbath Resurrection Response/Bikkurim

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Discussion Forum at www.eliyah.com/forum/ ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by TrustInYahweh on March 09, 1998 at 04:15:11:

In Reply to: Re: Sabbath Resurrection Response/Bikkurim posted by Daniel on March 07, 1998 at 22:01:02:

Excuse me, I thought a day started at sunset.

: Shalom Chris and D'vora,

: How is it that I feel I am getting the cold shoulder treatment here? "Discussion Partner." I do have name. I do not take kindly to emotional or rhetorical attacks. This is just a warning. So far, I haven't seen a renewal of what happened earlier here. Sometimes I think I just see hints of it. Generally, I will ignore the occasional out of place rhetorical comment or emotional jibe, however if I have to combat these tactics, here is my method in advance: I call attention to them, object to them, and accuse the author of whatever motive in my best judgement lies behind them. I try to ignore a lot of emotionalism, but if it gets to the point of making my points look bad, then I have to say something. I hope I can continue to overlook this.
:

: "The Greek word "sabbaton" actually can be used 3 different ways in Greek: : 1) To mean High Sabbath (cognate from Hebrew Shabbathown) 2) to mean sabbaths (as in multiple, plural or consecutive. 3) to mean a weekly sabbath.

: "Sabbaton" is the plural Greek word meaning "sabbaths." The singular version is "sabbatou" in the gentive case. Sabbaton means multiple sabbaths or in the idiom, "day of the sabbaths" it means the seventh day. The usual meaning of the word is the sabbath day. It may mean a high Sabbath (John 19:31; Mk. 16:1; Luke 23:56; Lev. 23:11).

: "Your discussion partner has chosen one viable interpretation of the word "sabbaton" - so what."

: Why thanks?! It happens to be the normative meaning of the word. How many exceptions are there? A handful of high sabbaths, and one passage where "week" might be meant, and 50 where the weekly sabbath is meant. But when the word sabbaton is used with the word day (either implied or present) as in "day of the sabbaths," the sabbath day is always meant.

: "The question is: "Is this the correct selection". The
: answer is "No". From Luke 24 and Mark 16 we know that on a Sunday two men on the Road to Emmaeus exclaimed that it was "three days
: since these things had happened".

: This was previously disproved. They went to Emmaus on Sabbath.

: "FIRST. (The Wed. construct erroneously demands that nights be counted first)."

: Didn't read my post did you. I bet others have. The first day is the small part left in Wednesday.

:
: "sabbaton" as meaning "sabbaths" in the plural consecutive.

: You can do this. It does not bother me at all, because the resurrection was on the first of the seven sabbaths counted between Passover and Shavuot. But strickly speaking the Greek demands, "first day of the sabbaths," which means "first Sabbath day."

: "The passage now says that it was the "first of the sabbaths". Remember, we count 7 perfect (plural consecutive) sabbaths to Pentecost from Bikkurim!"

: Perfect, means weekly Sabbaths, to distinguish them from festival sabbaths. KJV Leviticus 23:15 And ye shall count unto you from the morrow after the rest, from the day that ye brought the sheaf of the wave offering; seven sabbaths perfect they shall be: 16 Yet from the morrow of the seventh sabbath shall ye continue numbering fifty days; and ye shall offer a
: new meat offering unto the Yahweh." The phrase "Yet" (or while, or still) is the Hebrew Ayin, Dalet. It could be "'ad" which can mean "while," but it is best to take it as a defectively spelled "'od" as sometimes occurs in the texts. As for "continue numbering" this verb form is imperfect and so allows it.

:
: "It is all an absolute LOCK."

: I noticed that you said nothing about your own errors on Daniel's prophecy. In fact, you did not even consider it! It fits all the facts perfectly. Between 445 b.c.e. and 34 c.e. are exactly 69 sabbatical years. That is, from the rebuilding of the City to the cutting off of Messiah.

: So let's see, you skip the first Sabbath after Passover, and you number the second weekly Sabbath as the first of the seven Sabbaths in Lev. 23:15-16. So, you cannot understand "first of the Sabbaths" according to Lev. 23:15-16 in the resurrection passages. To do so you would have to abandon the Sunday Pentecost theory.
: So what alternatives are you left with?

: "Acts 20:7 and I Cor. 16:2 also use this phrase, "first of the sabbaths" and it is used both times while in the midst of Passover! This phrase IS a special phrase denoting Bikkurim (first-fruits)."

: But then in your view it must mean Sunday. How do you get from "first [day] of the sabbaths" to Sunday when all we are doing is counting (enumerating) Sabbaths, a practice for which there is Jewish Traditional evidence.

: "In I Corinthians 16:2 it is shown that a collection was taken to help needy brethren on "the first of the sabbaths" or First-fruits."

: Now that you are trying to translate literally, which is good, your interpretation is no longer clear. In fact, what you have written looks like it is counting Sabbaths.

: "... this false doctrine of Wed.-Sat.!"

: Hardly a just judgment in light of the forgoing. Can you stand before Yeshua's bayt din and testify of heresy and look me straight in the eye? Are you perfectly confident of your view?
: "I tell you Yahweh is serious about us taking care of each other and especially on the times He has appointed in SCRIPTURE to do so."

:
: Passover 4/13/1998 MON Julday: 2450917
: Last High Sabbath 4/19/1998 SUN Julday: 2450923
: Pentecost 6/ 2/1998 TUE Julday: 2450967
: Trumpets 9/23/1998 WED Julday: 2451080
: Day of Atonement 10/ 2/1998 FRI Julday: 2451089
: Tabernacles 10/ 7/1998 WED Julday: 2451094
: Last High Sabbath 10/14/1998 WED Julday: 2451101

: * Feast Days begin on preceeding day at sunset. For example if the feast is listed as 4/1, then the feast high sabbath begins on 3/31 at sunset and ends on 4/1 at sunset.

: Daniel

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Discussion Forum at www.eliyah.com/forum/ ] [ FAQ ]