Re: Lev.23:32 Sabbath begins "AT EVEN"

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Discussion Forum at www.eliyah.com/forum/ ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by EliYah on February 07, 1998 at 13:42:01:

In Reply to: Lev.23:32 Sabbath begins "AT EVEN" posted by Marlin on February 07, 1998 at 10:55:13:

:
: "When does the SABBATH DAY BEGIN?..."

: When does the day begin?.........

: In my last post I addressed what YHWH'S instructions were
: in -> Gen.1:,.

: In this post I will be addressing --> "AT EVEN"
: Lev.23:32,. (KJV)

: This is the directive for the BEGINNING... Period (24 HOURS)
: of time to observe the "SABBATH".

: And that being, "from evening to evening, you
: shall celebrate your SABBATH".

: The popular belief is that "AT EVEN" (evening) is
: at -> "SUNSET", (Mark 1:32)

Shalom Marlin. I have a question for you :)

In the verse you quoted..Leviticus 23:32 it says

Levi 23:32 (NKJV) "It [shall] [be] to you a sabbath of [solemn] rest, and you shall afflict your souls; on the ninth [day] of the month at evening, from evening to evening, you shall celebrate your sabbath."

The Hebrew word that are translated "evening" here in this verse is "ereb". Now let's look at another verse...

Josh 8:29 (NKJV) And the king of Ai he hanged on a tree until evening. And as soon as the sun was down, Joshua commanded that they should take his corpse down from the tree, cast it at the entrance of the gate of the city, and raise over it a great heap of stones that remains to this day.

In this verse, there are two words used to translate "evening" here. They are "eth" and "H'ereb". "Eth" is translated "time" 257 times in the KJV and "season" 16 times. H'ereb is "the evening. Therefore the literal translation is "time the evening" or "the evening time". So here we can see that the king of Ai hung on a tree until "the evening time". In the next sentence it is said that "As soon as the sun was down" he was removed from the tree. In order for these two sayings to agree with one another, would we not have to conclude that the time of evening is when the sun goes down?

With love in His service,

EliYah

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Discussion Forum at www.eliyah.com/forum/ ] [ FAQ ]