Just a few questions and problems.

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Discussion Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Click here for more interesting info

Posted by Charles Matthias on August 30, 1997 at 16:16:09:

After looking over your site and several others which dispense a similar message in regards to the Hebrew names that were used in ancient times and have fallen into complete obscurity in modern times, I have come into several problems with the ideas that you purport are directly descended from Biblical understanding.

While I on the one hand recognize that the names 'Jesus Christ' and almost every other name in the Bible is not the original Hebrew, I am wondering how then can you all claim to know what the true Hebrew is since there are no surviving documents which use the true names in the New Testament, and the Old Testament which is written in Hebrew either does not have vowels or if they do, there is no guarentee that they are the original vowels.

With an evolving language, where a particular pronunciation is based entirely on a dipthong, errors over time are certain to occur. Remember the story of the Ephraimites who could not pronounce the sh sound in the word shiboleth, and were thus slaughtered? Certainly it goes without saying that there were other dialectical peculiarities that we simply are never going to know about.

As to the pronunciation of YHWH, a name that was considered so Holy that it was not spoken, the only way we could know what the original vowels that were given to Moses (I haven't found any argument with Moses's name yet) is if that pronunciation had been kept exact through the three thousand years that have passed since Moses walked the Earth and received the law. How then are we to reconstruct this? Many have tried, and some have called the pronunciations of Yahweh and Yahshua as devil worship in themselves, akin to the use of the names God, Lord, and Jesus.

What this requires then is an understanding of what we consider Holy. If the only way to reach salvation is through the proper names, then obviously we must find the proper pronunciaion, for the names Joan and Jon, if the vowels are removed as they would be in ancient Hebrew, look exactly the same, but have very different meanings and refer to very different things. Obviously then, the proper pronunciation is also key, for without it, we are too calling on the wrong name.

Some have gone so far as to suggest that we will always speak in sin unless we speak in Ancient Hebrew (of which we do not know the proper vowels). While they may quote Zepheniah 3:9, the devil too can quote scripture (not saying they are, just saying that the devil can quote scripture).

What then if these things to which I have testified are true, can any be truly saved, for not only do we have to learn the proper names, but also the proper pronunciations of those names, but now we must also learn Ancient Hebrew, lest we sin. For some this is not a problem, as they have a talent descended from above in the learning of languages. Some do not. We each have our own talents, and they must be cultivated and invested, else we will not get a return, and what little we have will be taken form us.

Now, here is the problem. I have noticed that many of the poeple on this list use different spellings for the name of the Messiah and of the Elohim. I would aruge that the use of Elohim is just as paganistic as is the use of God since it descends from the Caananite tradition of the El, and is not a construct given to the Israelites by YHWH. So, when we have multiple pronunciations, and the name of the Messiah and of YHWH is said to be unique, all but one of the pronunciations and spellings has to be wrong (actually all the spellings are wrong since they aren't in ancient Hebrew), and maybe none of the pronunciations are right. By this logic, then changing from Jesus to Yahshua may not even be a step in the right direction, but a continuance in a life of sin! How do you reconcile this, how then can anybody be saved when the truth in these matters is hidden behind the curtains of time?

Another question? How can C.S. Lewis be Surprised by Joy when he used the names Jesus and God and Lord, if he was not actually surprised by the joy of knowing the true unrestrained concern? Or that Sadhu Sundar Singh would witness a figure coming out of the clouds as he just prepared to kill himself, and saw and testified that it was Jesus speaking to him in Hindustrani, when in reality Sadhu was expecting Krishna or another of his own Hindu gods; how can we say that what he saw was the devil because not only he was known as Jesus, but also becuase he spoke in Hindustrani and not in Ancient Hebrew?

These are my questions? Are we to be so rigorous that we must know the exact pronunciation of the names or we shall not be saved, or are we to be so loose that we accept things such as orientals refering to Him as their Buddha? Obviously, the more reasoned approach, one opens the doors of salvation to the multitudes is to use what we have. If you can find the proper pronunciation and spelling of these names, good, let's use them. However, when there is so much disagreement about even the forms of spelling, then I can find no recourse but to say that the point of His life on Earth and His sacrifice for us sinners has been relegated to unimportance by those who say we do not know him unless we first know the proper pronunciation of his earthly name.

Thank you for taking the time to work through that. If I am wrong in anything that I say, illumine me. My mouth is that of a man, it is bound to make mistakes.

Charles Matthias

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Discussion Forum ] [ FAQ ]