Why I use Yahoshua

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Discussion Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Click here for more interesting info

Posted by YermeYah on August 23, 1997 at 08:37:38:

Greetings in his wonderful name. As I search the pages of the sacred name groups on the web, I
notice that the spelling "Yahoshua" seems to be in a definate minority.

I would like to share why I have chosen, at this time, to use this spelling. I believe that it is agreed
that the savior, the son of YAHWEH, has the same name as the successor to Moshe, commonly
called Joshua in English translations. Let us see how Moshe's successor was named:

Numb 13:16 (av) These [are] the names of the men which Moses sent to spy out the land. And
Moses called Oshea the son of Nun Jehoshua.

It is argued that because the Masorites were incorrect in their vowel pointings for "Yeh" instead of
"Yah", then the reasoning is that they are probably also incorrect in the "ho" which they say should
be "hu".

Let us study out this reasoning a bit. The word in question is Strongs Hebrew #3091. It says, in
part:

03091 Y@howshuwa` {yeh-ho-shoo'-ah} or Y@howshu`a {yeh-ho-shoo'-ah}

from 03068 and 03467;

AV - Joshua 218; 218

Joshua or Jehoshua = "Jehovah is salvation"

Now, using the reasoning that if the masorites vowel pointing in the first syllable is incorrect, that is
reason to be suspect concerning the pointings in the rest of the word, let's look at the Hebrew word
Jehu, Strongs #3058:

03058 Yehuw' {yay-hoo'}

from 03068 and 01931;; n pr m

AV - Jehu 58; 58

Jehu = "Jehovah is He"

I believe that it is correctly spelled Yahu, and I don't know that anyone will disagree.

Now, it is also agreed, that Joshua, the son of Nun, originally had the same name as the author of
the O.T. book called Hosea; Strongs Hebrew #1954

01954 Howshea` {ho-shay'-ah}

from 03467;; n pr m

AV - Hoshea 11, Hosea 3, Oshea 3; 16

Hosea or Hoshea or Oshea = "salvation"

I Know of no one who contends that his name should be spelled "Hushea" instead of "Hoshea".

If anyone can show me a flaw in this reasoning, I would be thankful because I am still searching in
this matter and I pray for unity among the brethern.

YermeYah

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Discussion Forum ] [ FAQ ]